PROBLEMS STARTING CAR AND SURGING AT IDLE AFTER GETTING IT STARTED.

2001 Ford Taurus • 200,000 miles

First, the car is a 2001 Ford Taurus SE 6 cylinder. It does not always want to start. It may try and then stall and other times it fires right up. I have noticed that if I use a technique I was told about where you turn the ignition to on about three times, waiting for fuel pump between each one, then completely turning it over, it will usually start. Was told that could be a fuel pump issue. Second opinion please. Also when I do finally get it started, as long as its in park, neutral or I'm accelerating, everything seems to be okay. But as soon as I have to stop that's when the car starts to surge and rock back and forth. Not only is it annoying. But also embarrassing. It is very noticeable. I am now putting it in neutral when at a stoplight and lightly giving it gas, as it seems to act as if it wants to die. I have had a new coil assembly, fuel filter and MAS installed by the dealer as they said these were the problems but obviously they were incorrect. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Miss_c

Clean out the idle air control valve and EGR valve and test the throttle position sensor-also clean the MAF sensor with an electronic cleaner CRC-and see what happens