SEL ROUGH IDLE AT LOW RPM

2001 Ford Taurus

2001 Ford Taurus 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 156000 miles

Hi there,

My 2001 ford taurus sel (duratech engine, 24v, V6) has 156,000 kms on it. It has recently started to idle rough when at a stop. It takes about 4 or 5 seconds to finally drop to approx. 500 rpms at which point it starts to " chug". It sometimes will speed up to about 700 rpms. It only stalls when the A/C is running in the same conditions. I recently had the fuel filter changed. The trouble codes that appear are P0171 and P0174 which are bank 1 and bank 2 running lean. It does sound like there is a vacuum leak but I can not find it. All of the hoses appear to be in good condition. I have read so many different things in regards to what it could be but haven't tried many of them (fuel filter replacement is the only thing). There is a check engine light that comes on. Through my research, Ive found out that the light is an emissions trouble light meaning it can be various different components.

Any help you can give me would be fantastic.

Adam
Adum13

To me it really sounds like a issue with a vaccum leak. I know several people that had problems with vaccum lines behind the engine wearing out due to the heat. Check the one going to the map for sure

Blackop555