BRAKES

2001 Ford Ranger • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 88,000 miles

2001 Ranger When braking pedal sinks like losing hydraulic. Not every time but getting more frequent. Master cylinder replaced, caliper, pads, lines, shoes and rear cylinders checked. Fluid replaced and lines bled 3 times. Problem continues. Told by mechanic that ABS should not affect hydraulic but he points out that is the only item left in the system. Help! Scary. Any ideas?
Chazworks

Yes it can. If you are sure that you are not actually losing any fluid and you have eliminated the master cylinder, then I have seen the ABS do this a lot. You likely have rear wheel only ABS and the hydraulic unit is likely bypassing internally.

Wrenchtech
Thanks. I have always thought I had 4 wheel ABS but maybe I am wrong. Too cold and dark at the moment to go look more closely now but I know the ABS unit near the master cylinder has 4 lines out. Expensive part and would like to avoid a dealer repair bill so if it a reasonably simple on and off I'll track down the part tomorrow. Odd that it is intermittent and seems to happen within a specific speed range. If I push hard all is normal. It happens when I am easing to a stop and then the pedal just travels a few inches but never bottoms.

Chazworks