STEERING SQUEEKS WHEN TURNED AT LOW SPEEDS, OR STOPPED.

2001 Ford Mustang • 122,000 miles

Just replaced rack and pinion+pump, and still sounds like bad rack. Usually has to warm up before it starts. Not consistent, and sounds fine at high speed.
Ericdoerrer

Worn or loose belt? Where is the squeak coming from?

Rivermikerat
"still sounds like bad rack", belt not very old, doesen't sound like belt squeel, more of a grinding squeek noise. Already replaced 1 lower control arm, due to squeeking when front end moved up or down(bad a-arm bushings), but this is when wheel is turned.

Ericdoerrer
Ball joint. MacPherson strut tower cap/bearing. Tie rod ends. Sway bar. Steering column bulkhead bushing.

Rivermikerat
Ordered the other lower control arm, gonna hope it's ball joint, or a-arm bushings. But if that doesen't work, will try others you mentioned! Thank you!

Ericdoerrer
My pleasure. Let us know how it turns out and be sure to tell your friends about us.

Rivermikerat
While changing lower control arm, which had bolt seized up in bushing, and had to cut off, found that ball joint was in poor shape, and lowest 360* of coil spring had snapped off in a-arm! Never would have thought of coil spring, but I assume the angled break was causing the squeek, since it is gone now, and whole new front end!

Ericdoerrer
Wow. That is a rare one. Glad to hear it's fixed.

Rivermikerat