FORD FOCUS DOOR PROBLEM

2001 Ford Focus • 14,500 miles

Hi. The passenger side rear power window stopped working while it was down. Since it wouldn't go up and rain was forecast I removed the inside door panel and pushed the window up manually. This is now "secured" with a wooden stick between the bottom of the glass and part of the door frame. I would like to try to replace what is broken, hopefully without having to remove the glass which according to the Haynes manual I bought would then allow me to remove the whole of the metal 'rail' on which the window "clamp" goes up and down. My best guess is that the gray cyclindrical thing that has a cable attached to it is an electric motor and that this electric motor is what is broken, but before trying to replace it I found your website and thought I should ask the experts. The alternative explanation might be that one of the four toggles on the driver's door has broken. If so replacing the motor would do nothing, right? So how do I determine exactly what is wrong and what part to replace?

Can you hear the motor running when you activate the switch on that door? Also do you have a multi meter to do some testing?