FORD F-350 AIR FILTER PROBLEM

2001 Ford F-350 • 48,000 miles

I'm getting poorer than usual gas mileage with my 5.4L Triton engine. It's running great (with only 48,000 miles on it) and there have been no sudden changes in any aspect of its fueling or apparent functioning. The only non-stock equipment on the engine is a K& N cold air intake system (installed 4 years ago) and a Borla cat-back exhaust system (installed 3 years ago). After I added a tonneau cover, I was getting 17-19 mpg (hwy) and 12-14 mpg (city). Now the figures are down to around 13 mpg (hwy) and 9 (city) for no apparent reason. Any ideas? Thanks!-TM from Virginia (2001 Ford F350 Crew Cab Shortbed)

Have you changed your driving habits? That accounts for about 80% of fuel mileage issues.

Try using a regular air filter and get rid of the K/N. It contains oil in the filter which contaminates sensors. Thats why dealers reject any warr anty if they find this air filter in any of there vehicles.