TRANSFER CASE? TRANSMISSION? OTHER?

2001 Ford F-150 • 5.4L V8 4WD Automatic • 130,000 miles

The other day my wife was driving my truck (I know first issue) when she heard a "Clunk" and lost power. The truck remained running but no power in D, R, or 4wd. The speedometer while stationary read 15mph. Aftr towing it home in N it sat until the next day. After crawling under I found nothing obvious or nothing leaking. I started it up and put it in D and it worked. I moved it off the street and into my driveway. I haven't driven it for fear of doing damge or losing power again and needing a tow. The truck starts right up but when I put it in Drive the front end crouches down and feels like 4 Lo. The opposite happpens when I put it in R. The back end squats (more toward the divers side) and it feels like there is a lot of torque similar to 4 Lo.

So, any ideas? How do I go about confirming the assumption and is this something I can tackle? I have never attempted this repair. Examples of what I've done for experience: I have replaced timing belts (Honda and Ford) I have redone my brakes, replaced UV Joints, entire exhaust systems, electrical and other stuff. I'm willing to give the repair a try just want someone to be honest if it is a good idea to attempt.

*Update*So curiosity got the best of me and I wanted to see what it was like going down the road a bit. Backing out of the drive way it shifted "hard" in to R but got some power. Putting it in D It drove but lacking power, the speedometer showed I was doing 30-35 even though I was only going 5-10. Definitely a disruption in power to the wheels as I hit the gas. I shifted into 4wd and 4lo with no difference, the same hesitant weak power. Does this help any trying to troubleshoot?
ChesapeakeTJAM

Scan for codes first and check fuelpressure with a gauge auto parts rent them.