HOW DO YOU SET THE TIMING

2001 Ford Escape • 140,000 miles

The car is a v6 so it has a timing chain I go to crank the engine and it cranks for a couple of revolution and than just stops i'm thinking that maybe when I was putting it back together I didn't set the timing correctly
Apac408

If you did it incorrectly, you may have bent the valves. Remove the covers and inspect the gears,

Okay do you have a picture reference in how to install the timing chains properly on this vehicle

Apac408
Another question I only removed the LH timing chain so does that mean I would have bent all the valves on both camshafts reason why I only did the LH side is one of the valves was cracked and had to be replaced and the head gasket was blown

Apac408
CAUTION: Failure to verify correct timing drive component alignment will result in severe engine damage.

Install the crankshaft sprockets with the timing marks out.

If timing marks in the timing chains are not evident, use a permanent-type marker to mark the crankshaft and camshaft timing marks on the LH and RH timing chains.
1 Mark any link to use as the crankshaft timing mark.
2 Starting with the crankshaft timing mark, count 29 links and mark the link.
3 Continue counting to link 42 and mark the link.

Verify that the LH camshafts are correctly positioned.

Align the LH marks on the timing chain with the marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets.

Install the crankshaft damper bolt and rotate the crankshaft clockwise 120 degrees until the crankshaft keyway is in the 3 o'clock position.

Verify that the RH camshafts are correctly positioned.

Align the RH marks on the timing chain with the marks on the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets.

Rotate the crankshaft counterclockwise 120 degrees to top dead center (TDC).

Verify the timing with the following steps.
1 There should be 12 chain links between the camshaft timing marks.
2 There should be 27 chain links between the camshaft and the crankshaft timing marks.
3 There should be 30 chain links between the camshaft and the crankshaft timing marks.

Okay thank you question though how do I know when number 1 piston is at tdc do I just rotate the crankshaft until the keyway is at the 3 o clock position or can I stick a screw driver in the spark plug hole and once it pushes up that when I know which is a better way

Apac408
The screw driver method is ok but look for marks on the pulley.

I believe the keyway goes straight up.

So every time I turn the crankshaft all the way around and put it at the 11 o clock position number one piston is suppose to be at tdc and than turn it to three o clock and that sets the RH camshafts to neutral rotate two more times to the 11 o clock position and this sets the LH camshafts in there neutral position. So I'm just redoing the LH timing chain since this is the only one I took off and messed up after I'm done putting that one on do I still have to rotate the crankshaft and put the RH timing chain in its neutral position before I put everything back together and start the car even though I didn't take the RH timing chain apart or touched it at all for that matter.

Apac408
I would start from scratch and follow the directions. Once again, the damage may already have been done. After you set the chains. You need to do a compression test to verify no issues or the heads may have to come off.

Do not install the spark plugs and manualy turn the crankshaft a few revolutions after you have everything installed. When you are sure the valves are not being bumped by the pistons, you can try cranking.

Question when rotating the crankshaft I have two marks on it one is the keyway slot that the crankshaft pulley goes into and another mark that looks like a timing mark which one do I go by

Apac408
Page 1 of 4