VIOLENT BANGING/BOUNCING AFTER HITTING A BUMP

2001 Dodge Ram • 54,000 miles

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 V10 with 55,000. It has a new transmission and the problem predates the transmission replacement. When I hit a bump from 40-75+MPH it bounces and bangs violently. The only way to fix it is to stop. It is more common at higher speeds. It is more prevalent to the driver's side bump, but not limited to it.

My mechanic suggested replacing the steering track arm and he guaranteed that it would fix the problem but it did not. To his credit he gave me all my money back but now no longer wants to work on my truck. It is not the cab or bed mounts. The truck has new ball joints and one new bearing since they broke one fixing the ball joints. It has also been aligned. The problem was occurring both before and after this work.

Could it be the shocks? I am not positive, but it could be the rear end that has the issue and not the front end. It is very hard to tell since the banging is so violent. It almost seems that the shocks are frozen and the truck bounces after it hits a bump just right on its leaf springs. Or it is almost like the wheels are going at two different speeds.

Randolla

My first thought was the tracking arm. Have all tie rods, pitman arm. Been checked?

I am not sure. The first mechanic says he checked "all around" At this point I am pretty sure it is in the REAR end and not in the front end. It just feels like there is somthing wrong in the rear end. It seems to have a weird ride to it in the back end. I also had the truck aligned in August and this has been going on since before then Would all of that have been checked when I had the ball joints done and the truck aligned?

Randolla
Yes, everything in the suspension SHOULD have been checked prior to performing the alignment.

Check the leave spring shackles ( to axle tubes) and mounts. Check the upper and lower mounts of the rear shocks.

Rivermikerat
WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE OLE

4 FELLERS STANDING ON THE FRONT OR BACK BUMPER--BOUNCING IN UNISON?

THEN ON A PRESET COUNT, THEY ALL BAIL OFF

IF IT BOUNCES MORE THAN ONE AND A HALF TIMES AFTER THEY'RE OFF

IT COULD BE THE SHOCKS?

THAT'S THE WAY WE GOT TAUGHT DOWN HERE

LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE THE LAST ONE I TELL MERRY CHRISTMAS TO, ALMOST MIDNIGHT

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

You too. That's the jounce test. All you really need is to push the suspension down sharply and release it.

Rivermikerat
WE JUST SORTA CALL IT THE: I THINK YA'LL NEED SOME SHOCKS TEST!

YOUR WAY JUST USES LESS WORDS