ENGINE CRADLE

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 90,000 miles

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser. Our mechanic says that the engine cradle is starting to deteriorate with rust. He says it's something that happens to Cruisers. How do we repair it? Where do we find parts? I can't seem to find any information on the subject.
Photeine

I can't find much on it either right of the bat. To Repair it you want to find a salvage dealer near you. There are some links on this site if you use the search engine can possibly help find a reputable dealer near you. But the site has just been renovated so it is not up to speed yet. If that does not work, try Google oor any type of search for a salvage dealer that carries Chrysler parts. Most of the bigger chains are networked together and can help you find what you need even if they do not have it. If you live in an area where road salt may have accelerated the deterioration of the subframe, you might even search for a salvage yard in an area that does not have snow salt as a factor.
You will need the entire sub-frame and you might need to make sure that there is not a change in the part as it is associated to your VIN number. If you have time, you could join a PT Cruiser Enthusiast Forum. They are out there and the best resource for situations like this, but you have to join and provide your e-mail. This keeps Vendors out of the forum. So, it may take some time but you m ight look into some threades or posts to see if Chrysler eventually elleviated the rust problem or if there is a up-date that will still fit your vehicle.
When you purchase the subframe a reputable dealer should warranty it upon delivery in case it has damage. Also see if you can get a package deal with the frame and all the mounts just in case there are a few itmes that need to be swapped out.
It will be a pretty labor intensive job, so I would reccommend doing it by unbolting the entire frame and lifting the car off of the engine cardle, (subframe) and do as much maintenace as you can, i.E. Clutch, hases, etc.
Hope that helps.