OVERHEATING

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 176,000 miles

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser that is overheating. I had the radiator changed and that didn't help. After the radiator was changed it takes a while for the thermostat gauge to reach the middle line, and sometimes stays on the first quarter line of the thermostat gauge. I checked to see if there was water leaking and couldn't find a leak anywhere. I was also told to check the oil; if it looked "milky" then it could be a head gasket. The oil was fine. What else could be causing my car to overheat?
Cmtarver

When does it occur? Highway speed or city driving? Does the electric radiator fan turn on?

It overheats while I'm driving in the city, and all of the fans turn on.

Cmtarver
If it cools down at highway speed, that suggests there's not enough air flow at lower speeds, and the radiator fan might be only running at a lower speed when it turns on. If it overheats on the highway too, a leaking head gasket is a more likely cause. To test for that, your mechanic will draw air from the radiator through a glass cylinder with two chambers partially filled with a special dark blue liquid. If combustion gases are leaking into the cooling system, that liquid will turn bright yellow. That air can also collect under the thermostat and lead to overheating. Thermostats open in response to hot liquid. They do not open in the presence of hot air.

Test the thermostat could be sticking, could be airlock in it that needs bleeding and water pump malfunctioning-