CHEVY VAN

2001 Chevrolet Venture • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 154,000 miles

I have a 2001 Chevy Venture Van. It started overheating a month ago. The temperature gage shows that it is in the red and then I lose power. But there is no steam, no smell in the exaust or any other external evidence that something is wrong. We changed the themastat, water pump, and the themature sensing module but the problem still continues. Clarebear
Clarebear

Do you have have coolant losses issues? Check when engine is cold.
Are the cooling fans working correctly? When the gauge is showing red, does engine compartment seem to be very hot?

There is no significant coolant loser. The fan is working and not only is the engine compartment not hot, but when you feel the engine itself, it is not hot.

Clarebear
The temperature gauge is controlled by the PCM ( Power Control Module, Engine computer) and since symptoms are indicating a high temperature with no significant high temp with engine, it could be a bad signal or faulty meter. Get a scan done to check if there are any trouble codes and if none found, I would suggest checking/substituting the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor to test.

We have already replaced the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor (as long as that is the sensor that screws into the top of the engine block. Clarebear

Clarebear
I just went out and the coolant was down, maybe a cup but when I pulled the bleeders out there was no coolant at either of them. What is the proper way to bleed all the air out of the engine? Clarebear

Clarebear
When engine is cold, remove radiator cap. Top up coolant. Turn heater to maximum and start engine without radiator cap. Run for 5 minutes and keep adding if the coolant level drops. Stop engine. Top up coolant and close radiator cap. Run engine to operating temperature and stop engine. Allow to cool down and remove radiator cap to check level. Top up if necessary. If coolant level is very low at this time, repeat process.