SHIFTER LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier • 4 cylinder FWD Automatic •

How do you adjust the automatic transmission shift linkage on an 01 Cavalier? It will not fully go into park. When the shifter appears to be locked into park I can manually move the lever on the transaxle and it will then go into park. Reverse is neutral etc.
Zena13

You'll need to remove the center console. There is a park lock cable adjuster and solenoid. Turn the ignition key to "Run" without starting the car. Compress the adjuster body at the base of the shifter and release it. Depress the button on the top of the adjuster to lock the cable and check for proper operation.

Rivermikerat
I do not believe that it is the park lock cable. I think that the problem is with the shifter cable. It does not go forward far enough to move the shift lever on transaxle fully into park.

Zena13
Loosen the cable clamp at the transaxle, shift the lever all the way into Park, verify that you have to unlock it by pushing the button on the shifter, then make sure the trans is in Park also and tighten the adjuster.

Rivermikerat