KNOCKING/THUMPING IN REAR WHEN APPLYING BRAKES

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier • 15,850 miles

After having my brakes completely replaced I drove about 5 miles and my rear brakes started making a knocking/thumping sound when I applied medium pressure going approximetely 50. I have taken it back to the mechanic who did the brakes multiple times and each time they tell me it was a different solution (at first it was that different parts of the brakes were the wrong size or installed incorrectly but the last time it was that the tire was not tightened properly). Each time I pick it up the noise is gone but returns within two weeks. Please help!
Asierra

Something is definitely wrong there and if it takes some time for problem to come back, I would suggest checking the rotors. The rotor could be worn with edges sticking out and after some time the pads gets to it causing the knocking noise.

THE REAR SHOCKS/STRUTS ARE SHOT ON MY '95 NEON---HE'S JUST SORTA OUR SPARE CAR. SO WE KINDA DON'T WORRY MUCH ABOUT IT (I KEEP MY ATTENTION GEARED MORE TOWARD OUR DAILY DRIVERS)

THE NOISE I HEAR WITH IT SORTA SOUNDS LIKE DRIVING A BOAT OVER SUBMERGED TREE LIMBS IN A LAKE. I USUALLY ONLY HEAR IT WHEN ITS GOING OVER BUMPS

I HAVEN'T LOOKED UNDER THERE YET, BUT I IMAGINE, THE RUBBER STUFF IS GONE (SHOT) AT THE ANCHOR POINTS OF THE STRUTS, I'M HEARING METAL FLOPPING ON METAL NOW THAT THE CUSHION IS GONE.

I HAVE A FRIEND WITH LIFT. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN HE AIN'T BUSY, I'LL CHECK IT OUT.

THE STRUTS FOR IT ARE ABOUT $75 A POP.I "STOLE" THIS CAR ABOUT 8 YEARS AGO (REALLY NICE, BEFORE MY STEP-DAUGHTER GOT A HOLD OF IT).I GAVE $250 FOR IT, I HAVE A HARD TIME JUSTIFYING THEM "STRUTS OF GOLD"!