STARTER PROBLEMS

2001 Buick Regal • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 44,000 miles

2001 Buick Regal mileage: 44,000. I am having starter problems. The car will run fine until it warms up. If we stop and shut the engine off and try to start, it up 10-20 minutes later, all I get is the starter clicking. I have to let the motor cool down for several hours before it will start again. I have had the battery checked and the alternator both tested fine. I have to check the fans to see if they are coming on and check the contacts on the battery. There is something ever stranger. When it does fail to start, I have noticed that the clock on the radio is behind an hour or two. No idea what is causing this. I am leaning toward the starter and starter solenoid at this point. Any other ideas at this point would be greatly appreciated. I want to try to fix this myself before I take it to the dealer.
2CarPros-Archives

Check for 12 volts at the starter solenoid with the key in the start position when the car will not crank over. If 12 volts are present, the starter solenoid and/or starter are probably faulty. If our memory is correct, you already have a heat shield installed to protect the solenoid from heat from the exhaust system. If not, it would be wise to install one.

2CarPros-Archives