VARIOUS CONCERNS

2001 Buick Century • 200,000 miles

I inherited this vehicle from my ******, whom I feel didn't take the best care of it. Through no fault of her own, I believe she may have been mislead in many instances on how to properly handle maintenance on the car. I'm having several issues with this vehicle including grinding/moaning noise upon right turns (seems to be coming from front passenger-side tire area); I have multiple lights on the dash-"Low Tire" and "Service Engine" lights on constantly, fuel level indicator goes from full-empty at a moments notice, but never in between. Vehicle also occasionally hesitates to accelerate (most noticeable when fighting uphill). Additionally, there is an intermittant knocking sound in either my break or gas pedal (can't tell which-maybe both?) Most recently noticeable after excessive rain. I have had a lot of work done in the last year to try and fix these problems. I've had a wheel alignment, a new catalytic converter put in, I'm constantly putting fuel injector cleaner into the system with each gas fill up, had 4 tires, spark plugs and cylinder wires replaced. I do not have the money to spend on diagnosis on top of all these repairs. Any advice on whether or not I should just sell the thing before it craps out and hold onto my cash for a new vehicle or is it worth it to continue fixing these problems one by one? Which repairs should take priority over others?
Crystalvoid

This is a tough one to answer. The overall condition of the vehicle really is what is important. However, I will recommend this. Go to KBB. Com and see what the market value is of the vehicle. If it is very low, then I wouldn't put much into it. With that many miles, everything starts to wear out. The engines are strong and will keep going (if properly maintained). As far as the problems, the fuel gauge could be a bad sending unit in the tank, body control module, bad ground. The noise when turning could be the start of a bad rack and pinion, bad pump. The knocking sound in the brake could be rotors, drums. It is so hard to tell not being there. As far as the rain, chances are the rear brake drums are glazed and out of round. Dampness plays tricks on them. Often they lock up for the first few miles.

Check out the vehicle's value and determine if it is worth putting more into it or replacing it. It sounds like you have done all you can do and still have problems. Sometimes it is better to cut your losses and move on.

Let me know if you have other questions.