CANNOT GET GPS TO RECOGNIZE VEHICLE POSITION WITH REPLACED NAVIGATION SYSTEM

2001 BMW 740 • 80,000 miles

This is the message I sent to German Audio Tech after purchasing their MK4 Navigation Computer for my 2001 BMW 740iL. Perhaps you can shed some insight on the issue I'm facing? Many thanks!

Dear germanaudiotech (on eBay)

I installed the MK4 unit in my 2001 BMW 740iL and appears to work well except for the GPS (menus appear to cycle through OK). The GPS Navigation holds the previous owner's "current position" (Memphis TN area). I have tried deleting this location numerous times and the unit will not accept my "current position" information. I referred to the instructions in the owners manual I found online.

My old unit, I believe is a MK2 and had just the two colored plugs that matched up perfectly with the MK4 you sent. I noticed there was a small jack at the rear of the MK4; there is not one the MK2. Is this for an external antenna and perhaps the reason I'm not getting necessary GPS signals? How do I get the GPS to work properly? Is perhaps this item needed - http://www.ebay.com/itm/120846158988?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_2142wt_1066

Thanks.- 1527tom
Wellen58

Who makes the nav unit? German Audio is the retailer.

Rivermikerat