AUDI A6 FUEL PUMP PROBLEM

2001 Audi A6 • 5 cylinder FWD Automatic • 119,000 miles

Hi. I have a 2001 Audi A6 2.4se auto. Recently the car has been refusing to start when the car is warm/hot. The car starts fine when it is cold or been left overnight. I have noticed that on the dashboard 'P' and 'N' do not highlight, so obviously the car won’t start as it thinks the car is in gear. This never happens when the car is cold. The car also picks up 'D' and 'R'. Could this be a gearbox problem? I took it took the mechanic and he said that there are 2 wires in the car that are getting really hot therefore causing this problem. Another mechanic said it may be a heater relay problem. Can you please help?
Rk_uk1

Next time it refuses to start don't wait for it to make up its mind-do below immediately to determine if its fuel or spark problem

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine atleast 3/16 away from ground-have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if okay-check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs,coil's resistances,cap and rotor,distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it and keep testing