VOLKSWAGEN POLO WHEEL PROBLEM

2000 Volkswagen Polo • 15,000 miles

Our Polo shakes just as though it had an out of balance wheel/tyre, however I dont think it is front wheel related as the steering wheel itself does not wobble - it's the whole car wobbling.

We have taken it to all sort of garages for diagnosis including a VW dealer and no one seems to be able to find the cause. We have had wheels rebalanced several times, checked tracking and had 4-wheel laser geometry test. All tweaked to optimum, but still the wobble remains. Even tried fitting the spare in various positions, but nothing seems to change it. It is not engine related as it will do it if I coast downhill with engine idling. It only ever happens in the speed range 55-60mph and some days it hardly does it at all.

Another, possibly unrelated symptom we have is that if you hit a bump while going round a corner, the rear of the car shimmys to the side just slightly - just as though the shockers were duff, however they have also been pronounced ok by the local garage (car does not keep bouncing if pushed downwards).

A complete mystery. Can anyone solve this for me please?

GB.

Body vibration not felt in the steering will be a problem with the rear end or a rear tyre or rim, look here first.

Mhpautos