TIMING ISSUES WITH CAMSHAFT MARKS.

2000 Volkswagen Jetta • 200,000 miles

I have a 2000 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8 Turbo GLS. I had to replace the camshaft chain tensioner. I set the timing belt sprocket to TDC and looked at the chain gear on the other end of the camshaft there is suppose to be a notch on the gear that lines up with an arrow on the top of the bearing cap and it is not. The notch in further down on the gear. Both gear and sprocket are suppose to be keyed I think. What could have caused the notches at top dead center to be off on the chain gear.
Antman258

This is what it should look like, not 100 % on the dot. If you did not remove the chain, it should not have gone off the mark.

The crankshaft rotates 2 revolution for every 1 revolution of the camshafts.
If the two camshaft marks are not visible, rotate the crankshaft
one more time.

Thomas

Exovcds
After further inspection I found that the Key had broke on the timing belt/camshaft sprocket/gear.

Antman258
Ouch, sorry to hear.

Did any of the valves get bent?

Thomas

Exovcds
I am not sure yet, I am going to put a new sprocket on, set the timing and check compression.

Antman258