PROBLEM WITH A REPLACED USED AC COMPRESSOR

2000 Volkswagen Jetta • 140,000 miles

My AC compressor was making a clicking sound so I had the mechanic replaced it with an used one, which he got for me! Anyway, the clicking sound is now intermittent meaning when the car is cold the clicking sound is back although the sound is not as bad as before. After driving for 30 mins the sound is gone. Before I had no cold air when AC was on now I do. I am just wondering if the guy just put freon R134 and did not replace the compressor.

Is that possible? If not, why is the noise?

Frahman

You mean a clicking sound DIFFERENT from the compressor cycling on and off? Did it click before when air was NOT on? And sometimes it's customary to ask for old parts back to avoid scam?

Fixitmr
The clicking sound was before without turning on the AC. The sound was coming from the clutch or the gear of the compressor which I know for sure. My question is by by filling up the compressor with R134, can the clutch sound be reduced?

Frahman
Do you mean reduced in repetition speed or reduced in noise volume? Hmmm, I wonder if it will still make sound if you unplug it?

Fixitmr
I am not satisfied with your responds. This is the 2nd time you asking question for a question. What you mean by unplug it? There is nothing to unplug. Its a AC compressor making a noise. I wasted my $5. Nonsense

Frahman
It has an electrical plug that goes to the clutch. If you unplug it the clutch will not be functioning and any click sound will be then considered a mechanical fault. Either in the clutch itself or in the compressor. As to whether filling the system with freon has any effect on this sound is hard to determine/speculate without first hand information.

Fixitmr
Here is a pic of a clutch and it's PLUG.

Fixitmr