VAUXHALL ASTRA ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Vauxhall Astra • 121,197 miles

When the car is first started from cold my heating works fine and continues to work perfectly until I turn it off or kill the engine, from then on it won't do a thing, the fan fails to start no matter what the heating control In the car is set to. The switch ranges from 1-4 but no matter what position it fails to work. The fan simply refuses to work. I've replaced the "resistor" I think they called it that's behind the glovebox but to no avail.
I've been told it could possibly be the switch for the control but you can't buy them individually, it's apparantly all or nothing and £130 plus vat!
Have you got any ideas what it may be or what I can do before I have to throw that kind of money in to a car that's only worth a few hundred pounds!
Many thanks

Louis clark
Louis_clark199