4 RUNNER WONT START

2000 Toyota 4Runner • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 120,000 miles

My 2000 Toyota 4runner won't start. The starter was the first item. I fixed that. The car started billowing white smoke. It smelled of fuel and was not black. There was no sweetness in the smoke, nor was it smoke. It seemed to be steam. It then died. It smells like it's running rich on gas. When it went to idle it died. Now I have replaced the mass air flow sensor. This didn't work. A mechanic has had it for a week and can't figure it out. They say they are exhausted. They think it could be the computer. Any thoughts?
TrevHain

White smoke is an indication of a blown head gasket or cracked head compression test it. Or maybe you filled up with diesel?

Merlin2021
Head gasket is good and verified by mechanic. Compresion test came back as okay. Filled up with unleaded. I always make sure to use good gas. But I was at a festival and wonder if possibly, someone got crazy and pulled some pranks as the car was unstarted for 4 days, then it started well. I packed up and it was going no where. A professional mechanic has had it for the week and can't figure it out. He thinks it's a malfunction in the computer? Thoughts? Is it easy to bypass the gas tank lock and get in? Could be a prankster.

TrevHain
Another thing to note is the housing for the air filter was full of gas. It seemed old like it had been doing it for awhile. The vacuum hose was dripping gas into the housing through the top port? I was baffled. Every fix. Starter then mass air flow sensor. It starts and runs. Then after idleing for 2 to 3 minutes. It shuts down. I appreciate ya merlin. I'm trying everything.

TrevHain
Check the fuel pressure regulator. If any gas is in the vacuum line to it, replace it. Check oil for pressence of fuel, cjange oil and filter. A bad regulator will allow way too much fuel delivery. If fuel is in the air filter, I can almost garantee this is your problem
or the return line to the tank is kinked or blocked

Merlin2021