SATURN SL2 OIL PAN PROBLEM
2000 Saturn SL2
How to change oil pan
April 12, 2011.
April 12, 2011.
2CARPROS COM IN00007
Select Vehicle | New TSBs | Technician's Reference Component Search:
2000 Saturn SL2 L4-1.9L DOHC VIN 7
Vehicle Level Engine, Cooling and Exhaust Engine Oil Pan Technical Service Bulletins Engine - Oil Pan Difficult to Remove Service Procedure
CAUTION :MAKE SURE VEHICLE IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED AND SQUARELY POSITIONED. TO HELP AVOID PERSONAL INJURY WHEN A VEHICLE IS ON A HOIST PROVIDE ADDITIONAL SUPPORT FOR THE VEHICLE ON THE OPPOSITE END FROM WHICH COMPONENTS ARE BEING REMOVED. MAKE SURE HOIST DOES NOT CONTACT FUEL OR BRAKE LINES.
1. Remove accessory drive belt from crankshaft pulley.
2. Raise vehicle squarely on a lift.
3. Remove right wheel and tire assembly. (Refer to "Wheel" removal procedure in the Alignment Wheels & Tires section of the 2000-2001 S-Series Chassis Service Manual.)
4. Remove splash shield.
5. Remove crankshaft balancer.
6. Remove engine strut bracket.
7. Remove front exhaust pipe. (Refer to "Front Exhaust Pipe and Catalytic Converter" removal procedure in the Exhaust section of the 2000-2001 S-Series Engine Service Manual.)
8. Remove engine stiffening bracket and transaxle inspection cover.
9. Drain engine oil.
10. Remove oil pan bolts and remove oil pan from engine.
IMPORTANT :Do not attempt to straighten or reuse the original oil pan. Replace the original oil pan with the new design.
11. When attempting to install the new oil pan P/N 21015428, minimal interference condition is likely to exist between the oil pan rail, flywheel and crankshaft bearing tie plate. To eliminate this condition, use a metal hand file to remove a small amount of material near the rear bolt hole of the oil pan. Refer to illustrations at left, for specific area of oil pan to modify.
NOTICE :Do not use an air driven grinder or other motorized tool. Removal of too much material may result in an oil pan leak.
12. File oil pan at area indicated in illustrations. Remove approximately 0.5 mm (.020 in.) of material.
IMPORTANT :The final filed edge of the oil pan will appear as shown in the illustration.
13. Make sure the oil pan surface is free of cured RTV and cleaned with a chlorinated solvent, such as carburetor spray cleaner, brake clean, or alcohol Saturn P/N 21007432 (or equivalent).
IMPORTANT :Minimal c]earance exists between the oil pan, crankshaft bearing tie plate and flywheel. Therefore, it is recommended that a trial assembly be performed without RTV prior to final assembly with RTV.
IMPORTANT :Assemble while the RTV is still wet (within three minutes). Do not wait for the RTV to skin over.
14. Apply a 4.0 mm (0.160 in.) bead of RTV in the oil pan groove, routing the RTV bead toward the inside of all bolt holes.
15. Install oil pan assembly by first positioning rear corner of oil pan (exhaust side) into flywheel hub and raise rear section of oil pan to engine block, then rotate front of oil pan to final assembled position.
16. Install oil pan fasteners to engine block.
Oil Pan-to-Block Fasteners: 9 N.m (80 in-lbs)
17. Install oil pan drain plug.
Oil Pan Drain Plug-to-Pan: 37 N.m (27 ft-lbs)
18. Install transaxle inspection cover.
Transaxle Inspection Cover
Fasteners: 10 N.m (89 in-lbs)
19. Install engine stiffening bracket to engine.
Engine Stiffening Bracket
Bolts: 47 N.m (35 ft-lbs)
20. Install engine strut bracket.
Engine Strut Bracket-to-Cradle
Fasteners: 50 N.m (37 ft-lbs)
21. Install crankshaft balancer.
Crankshaft Balancer Bolt: 215 N.m (159 ft-lbs)
22. Install splash shield front section of shield first, then rear.
23. Install tabs in body cut-out and align holes in shield with frame holes.
24. Install push pins.
25. Install front exhaust pipe. (Refer to "Front Exhaust Pipe and Catalytic Converter" installation procedure in the Exhaust section of the 2000-2001 S-Series Engine Service Manual.)
26. Install front wheel and tire assembly. (Refer to "Wheel" installation procedure in the Alignment Wheels & Tires section of the 2000-2001 S-Series Chassis Service Manual.)
27. Lower Vehicle.
28. Install accessory drive belt.
29. Fill engine with recommended clean engine oil.
© 2011 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Apr 12, 2011.
Apr 12, 2011.
How do i replace oil pan gasket 2000 mercury sable 24 valve v6?
1 answer • 2000 Mercury Sable • 186,000 miles
I'm trying to take off this oil pan to reseal it on a 98 rodeo 3.2L V6 engine and this pan is not comming off even after i took off every possible bolt and nut. What is holding it in?
1 answer • 1998 Isuzu Rodeo • 145,000 miles
What are the step by step procedures for oil pan replacement on a 04' Pacifica?
3 answers • 2004 Chrysler Pacifica
Changing oil pan on 1995 pontiac grand am. I screwed all the bolts off around top of oil pan, removes engine bracket, removed compressor, starter, and working on harmonic balancer are ...
1 answer • 1995 Pontiac Grand Am • 116 miles