CATALYTIC CONVERTER

2000 Saturn SL1

My 2000 Saturn SL1 won't pass inspection due to the catalytic converter reading "not ready." I already looked up prices for catalytic converters but I don't know if there could be something wrong with it and not necessarily have to replace it. How can I find this out? And if I do have to replace it, how difficult would it be to do it myself vs. Taking it to a professional mechanic?
Nohiddentruth

So is the cat monitor the only monitor reading not ready?Also any trouble code's?Have you made any repairs to the car recently?If what?Also has the battery went dead or was it replaced recently?

Also do you live in california?

Yes, its the only thing reading not ready. I don't know what a trouble code is. How recently is recently? There was some form of water pump replaced over a year ago and the battery went dead sometime in January or February. No, I don't live in California.

Nohiddentruth
Recent would be within couple of weeks so that would be a no. The reason I asked about california is because I live there and I had to get a cat for my 1999 saturn sl2 and I couldnt find one online that was california legal. But you could get one that bolts right in for about 150 or so. Check ebay they have some good deals just not in my case lol. So was the smog guy telling you needed a cat.