FUEL PUMPS

2000 All Other Makes All Other Models

I work with various types of vehicles that are in storage for a long period of time (1 year or more). Under a new program, when the vehicle comes into storeage the vehicle normally has under 1/4 tank of feul in it. We add fuel to it up to 1/4 of a tank and add SeaFoam to it at a rate of 1oz per gallon. We crank each vehicle once a month and let it run for 30 minutes to one hour at a time to cycle gas and charge the battery. Every 3 to 6 months we are to add 2 gallons of pre-treated gas to the vehicles that need it to get them back to 1/4 of a tank when they get to 1/8 of a tank.

My question is : By keeping these cars and trucks at such a low feul level does it pose a threat to the fuel pumps of over heating and going out due to not being submerged?

And, When the new program was instated we had to idle the
vehicles that were over 1/4 of a tank down to 1/8 of a tank and then add enough gas to get them back up to 1/4 of a tank. Some of the vehicles had to be idled for 3 to 5 days from the time we opened to the time we closed depending on the type of vehicle. Due to this massive Idel Defuel, in the following month we had about 10 to 12 fuel pumps go out. We feel that the problem was lettting them idel for that long period of time instead of having the fuel mechanically removed.

Could the 10 to 12 fuel pumps that went out following the massive defeul been a result of overheating of the fuel pump due to excessive ideling? And what reasons could that have happended so we can show our General Manager that this new Program is going to hurt or help?

Thank You.
Large_Barge_72

Fuel pumps are cooled by fuel going through them, not while they sit in the tank. Most of them should be near the bottom an dmay be more fuel may help a little but I doubt it. What does the pretreated fuel have in it? High alcohol content? That may have some thing to do with it but probably just sittig is doing the damage. It's not good to idle vehicles for long periods of time anyhow. It does more damage to the engine than anything.