ENGINE TRIES TO STALL FROM ACCELERATING AFTER A STOP

2000 Oldsmobile Alero • 187,000 miles

My Alero starts up with no problems, does not shutter or choke while driving either. After a few minutes of driving it occasionally will try to stall when accelerating from a complete stop(stop signs, traffic, red lights), especially on an incline. I recently had to tighten the catalytic converter to the muffler with some coat hanger wires and a new clamp to hold it in place, and it does not seem loose. I did recently find out I lost a lot of oil after my last oil change. The dipstick indicated the oil barely made it to the letter A in then "Add" portion of Add 1 Quart. The oil change was maybe 2 months ago. I added fresh oil and it seemed to run better, but the problem remains.

Any ideas of a place to start checking/testing? I will be doing a scan at Advance Auto Parts today and bring back any codes I receive.

The car doesn't stall in any gear aside from the first gear and only attempts to stall from a stop/incline. Any information you can provide is appreciated.

This will be updated as I go along.
Rlbutta16

What is the idling speed when problem starts to occur?
Let us know of any trouble codes after the scan.

Where I would start is getting those codes if any you have. Let me know the exact code numbers you have not code descriptions?

The only code I received was a P0440 code. The rpms stay around 1000 when idling but when it feels like it is going to stall out, sometimes it goes as low as 800 maybe? This is only after driving 10-15 minutes but for the most part it idles steady.
I have noticed a few times as I was braking to a red light, right before it reached the idle 1000RPMS the gauge "bounced" a few hundred RPMS then settled down. I've noticed it maybe 3 times since refilling the oil.

I wrote down everything that the Actron OBD had available so I can fill in any information you might need.

Rlbutta16
Which engine do you have?

P0440 - EVAP system fault

Seems like the engine idling is not stable all the time and under such circumstances I would suggest cleaning the throttle body and IAC to see if the idling improves and the stalling might go away.

As to the EVAP trouble code, you would need some diagnostics to get it resolved.

For P0440, check for the following: Cracked or punctured EVAP canister.

Damaged or disconnected source vacuum line, EVAP purge line, vent hose, for fuel tank vapor line.

Poor connection at PCM.

Inspect harness connectors for backed-out terminals, improper mating, broken lock, damaged terminals, or poor wire connection.

Check for intermittent in circuit.

Check for kinked, pinched or plugged vacuum lines to EVAP purge or fuel tank vapor line. Also check for restrictions.

Faulty or damaged evaporative canister.

O I forgot to mention it is a 2.4L engine Automatic transmission. I'll try to get some cleaners today, check the hoses, wires, and terminals as well. I have to do some driving today so I'll make a note if any more errors occur. Going appx 10 miles each way. If any of the wires or harnesses are at fault, will they be easily recognizable as "looking faulty"?

Rlbutta16
Before you go checking all that for the evap leak make sure the gas cap is tight also inspect its seal for cracking/splits etc.

I'll check that out, I know my gas cap is a bit of a pain to get on, it may be worse than I've given it credit. Thank you for the heads up.

Rlbutta16
Your welcome thats what were here for.