OVER REVVING PROBLEMS

2000 Nissan Maxima • 126,000 miles

My nissan maxima which is auto is having revving problems when I start the car about 20 mins after driving it it wont let me put my foot down and revs up to 5000s so I have to pull over and turn my car off if I start it striaght away it keeps doing the same thing but if I stop for 10 mins it seems to run for a while before doing it again some days it runs ok other days it does this what could be wrong with it? No materhow hard I put my foot down it wont go faster and just starts to slow down revving higher and higher
Raychelrahrah

If the engine is revving higher and higher, but the car is slowing down, that sounds like a transmission issue. Check to make sure the fluid is clean and full. If you haven't done it for a long time, you may want to have the transmission serviced. You may have an issue with the filter being loose or plugged.

Oh ok no problem thank you I was also told it could be the air intake sensor what so you think?

Raychelrahrah
It could be, but that wouldn't cause the engine to rev and the vehicle not to speed up. If that is the case, it sounds like the transmission is slipping. Let me know what you find. Also, check and make sure the trans fluid is clean and full.