ELECTRICAL SURGING AND ENGINE SPUTTERING

2000 Mitsubishi Montero • 169,000 miles

I am having some annoying issues with my Montero Sport. There seems to be some kind of electrical issue or power distribution issue. Which is causing the vehicle's dash and headlights to have a surge in conjunction with the motor. Lights will dim and brighten as the engine sputters a bit. Also the vehicle seems to run fine once I'm at 65mph or more. Sputtering issues occur mostly between 10-45 mph. Electrical surging seems to be most common when sitting idle.I've had to change alternator twice in 2 years as well.I'm kinda at a loss now. Being a single dad is tough and now this. Any help to be offered would be so appreciated.

Mikael Vox

Did same issue occure preseeding ALT replacement? Has engine and body grounds been checked ie. OHM checked for unwanted resistence?

Docfixit
Yes to alt replacement. Problems still occurred. The other two have not been checked.

Mikael Vox
Suspect engine ground need to OHM check or voltage drop test. Do you have a DVOM? If yes check open circuit voltage at BATT see if it is steady 14.5 to 15V

Docfixit
I will do that or have it done. If its not a consistent flow of 14-15. How should I proceed?

Mikael Vox
So what happened?

Docfixit