CAR OVERHEATING AND SQUEALING

2000 Mitsubishi Galant • 19,000 miles

I was driving my car today at 30mph and it started smoking. I pulled over ASAP, but heard a high pitch squealing noise. My A/C works good and I was using it when this happened. If my thermostat is bad would it make the squealing sound or it is my fan motor? The radiator and the overflow were full and I do not have any leaks. When the squealing noise happened I did notice a difference in my A/C. I was not able to look under the hood, since its dark and raining cats and dogs. Please advise.
Krobison

Suspect AC compressor has locked up

Docfixit
Someone suggested that it was the fan belt that broke and thats why it made that noise. Once the fan stopped moving then the car overheated. Does that sound possible as well?

Krobison
Yes but check all pullies see if one is frozen. The squeal means belt is moving across a frozen pully causing it to break ie. Smoke

Docfixit
What would cause the pulley to freeze up? Would it have to be replaced or only the belt?

Krobison
Pulley's can freeze up because of rust, corrosion and use. With the belt removed spin each of the pulley's by hand, if they don't spin freely they should be replaced. If the belt was damaged, it should be replaced too.

2CarPros Mike