OIL LEAK AND ENGINE ANATOMY

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse

I have an oil leak dripping from the left side of my engine. Going all over the belts. My real question is where can I find some detailed diagrams of my engine so I can educate myself, and in turn make my questions here more beneficial and less time consuming for those who answer! Thanks so much to all who reply. You're a huge help in my ongoing learning curve. : )

If you can provide a picture on where its actually leaking at we might be able to help, its hard to ID it thru the net-

Oo

Looking over this I want to say that it could be the front case gasket. And thanks by the way that diagram rocks! Does this area usually have a cover and fit almost directly over the alternator and surrounding belts? I can't get a pic up right now, but if it is this, would this be something I could easily do myself?

There is the timing belt under cover and most leaks here are due to either camshaft, crankshaft, balancer shaft seals or valve cover gasket.

If the oil is from external, it could be from the power steering pump. For eternal, it woul be easy but for those inside, unless you are mechanically inclined and has the tools to remove the crank pully, it is beyond your means, at least for now. The timing belt has to be removed.

Here are some pics I took today. Alternator and belt are covered in oil. How would I be able to identify where the leak is coming from? I bought some engine degreaser but am hesitant to use it as I'm not sure if there are certain components in that area which could be damaged by the chemical.

Seems the oil is coming from behind the timing belt cover.

The upper cover can be easily removed to have a better visual. If the oil is from behind cover, it is from the crank and/or cam shaft oil seals. The timing belt would have to be removed to replace them.

This may sound like a dumb question but after I remove the belt how can I test to make sure the oil is leaking from the crank or cam seals? The whole area is covered in oil. Is it safe to spray the degreaser in this area and hose it off?

Look out for signs of fresh oil and that would be the area of leakages. Replacing all the seals would be the way to go.

Yes, you can use a degreasing agent to clean the area and hose it off.