IS IT IMPORTANT THAT THE COWL VENT SCREEN PRESSES TIGHT AGAINST THE BOTTOM OF THE WINDSHIELD?

2000 Mercury Sable • 182,000 miles

I replaced the cabin air filter but was unable to reinstall the cowl vent screen so that it presses tight against the bottom of the windshield. I didn't notice whether it was tight before I removed it, but it buckles slightly in the middle now. I assume that water will leak through this gap, but does this matter? Thanks for your help.
Mcoveney

As long as water shield is screwed down then no water will enter cab.

Docfixit
Thanks, Docfixit. Just to check - the water shield is the plastic tray under the cowl vent screen that mounts over the cabin air filter and is called "cowl top inner panel shield" in the owner's manual?

Mcoveney
Correct

Docfixit
I have the same problem. Those little plastic screws that held the cowl down disintegrate after awhile, and each time you change the cabin filter (or at least blow it out) they break. A simple fix is to use plastic screws from Lowes, and some rubber cement on the windshield to hold it down, as the rubber cement can be removed after each change over. Never waste the $12 they want for 3 plastic screws to replace whats broken from the Ford Dealership.

Bravestar1

Docfixit
Thanks Bravestar1. I'll try your rubber cement suggestion to hold the cowl against the windshield.

Mcoveney