REAR MAIN SEAL

2000 Jeep Wrangler • 44,000 miles

Replaced my rear main seal. 4.0 engine. 2 pc seal. Chipped very very small piece off the top of the bearing trying to get the top seal out. Passenger side rear side of seal on the corner. Got everything back together and had NO leaks. 1 month later just started leaking. Checked oil cap, oil pan, valve cover and it is the rear main that is leaking again. Oil is flowing down the inspection plate on the tranny.
Remitdmn

You need to go back in and replace the rear crankshaft end bearings and seals again-

SORTA EXPLAIN WHAT YOU WERE USING TO TRY TO ROLL THE TOP HALF OF THE SEAL OUT, IN ORDER TO DAMAGE THE BEARING?

IN THIS LINK....#17 (THE THRUST BEARING) IS THE REAR BEARING OR IS ONE OF THE OTHERS IN #16a?

MY EXPERIENCE LIES WITH CJs (258 BEING MY FAVORITE)

IF THE REAR IS NOT #17, BUT JUST A PLAIN JANE BEARING......YOU MAY BE ABLE TO LOOSEN THE OTHER CAPS AND ROLL ANOTHER BEARING IN TO TAKE THE PLACE OF THE DAMAGED ONE---THEN TORQUE IT ALL BACK INTO PLACE

THIS IS YOUR SEAL---ALMOST A TWIN TO MY '77 CJ 5s 258

I START MINE MOVING WITH A SMALL DIAMETER LONG PUNCH, AFTER A 1/4" TO 3/8" OF MOVING IT, I LOSE THE PUNCH AND I USE A NON-FLUXED BRAZING ROD (3/16 OR SO AND 8-10 INCHES LONG. I DRIVE THE BRAZING ROD (100% BRASS) ON THRU, AND LET IT FOLLOW THE CURVATURE OF THE CRANKSHAFT, AS IT PUSHES THE SEAL OUT.

UNLESS YOU REALLY PUT A WHAMMEE ON THE BEARING AND TRASHED IT WHERE IT RUNS ON THE CRANK, (PIC WOULD BE NICE) I MIGHT WOULD GIVE IT MY BLESSING AND RUN IT ANYWAY.

WHEN YOU RE-INSTALLED THE REAR CAP, DID YOU USE A LITTLE RTV HIGH TEMP SILICONE TO SEAL THE SEAL HALVES AS WELL AS THE BACK PORTION OF THE REAR CAP??? IF NOT, THAT MIGHT BE YOUR LEAK PROBLEM.

LIKE I SAID, I'M A CJ KINDA GUY, I HAVE SORTA ANSWERED MOST OF THE CJ 5 AND CJ 7 FORUMS FOR THE PAST 2 1/2 YEARS OR SO. I DON'T KNOW YOUR ENGINE---I KNOW MINE WELL....IN THE FOLLOWING LINK FOR A '77 CJ5, THIS IS THE AMC JEEP FACTORY WAY

YOUR TORQUE SPECS MAY BE DIFFERENT, AND EVERY JEEP OWNER SHOULD HAVE THE CORRECT MANUAL FOR THEIR BABY, SO THERE IS NO DOUBT!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

YOUR TURN

ABOVE I LEFT OUT A LINK

IT WAS MEANT TO BE BELOW THIS LINE

"THIS IS YOUR SEAL---ALMOST A TWIN TO MY '77 CJ 5s 258"

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Felpro-Rear-Main-Seals/2000-Jeep-Wrangler-4WD/_/N-je9qeZ8znna?itemIdentifier=73831_124273_0_19125

I JUST WENT BACK TO THE JEEP KNOWLEDGE BASE.

IT'S BEEN SOME TIME SINCE I LOOKED AT IT, I SORTA HAVE NO NEED TO WITH MY CJs AND ALL OF THE PAPER INFO I HAVE ACQUIRED OVER THE YEARS. I JUST SORTA SURFED AROUND AND SEEN THAT THEY HAVE ADDED MANY OTHER JEEP VEHICLES (WHICH WERE NOT THERE BEFORE)

SO I DID SEE THAT THEY HAVE YOUR RIGS FACTORY MANUAL IN THERE (FACTORY IS REALLY THE BEST YOU CAN USE) WHAT IS ALSO NEAT IS YOU CAN PRINT THE PAGES, AND GET THEM AS GREASY AS YOU WANT, NEVER RUINING "THE BOOK"!