NOISY LIFTER OR PISTON SLAP?

2000 Jeep TJ • 10,300 miles

I've got a ticking sound in my Jeep Wrangler 2.5L when I accelerate or rev the engine. How can I tell if it is a noisy lifter or if I've got piston slap?
Pacer12

Piston slap normally goes away after a few minutes but alifter will as well if it pumps up. A lifter sounds more like a ticking but a piston is a lowr sounding tick that goes away and is only heard on startup until the engine gets about100 degrees or so.

The ticking sound doesn't go away as the engine warms up. It quiets down a bit, but is still there when I accelerate. This morning I went 25 miles on the freeway, then when I got off I noticed the tick was still there as I accelerated away from the stop light on the off ramp. It wasn't as noticable, but it was still there. Does that sound more like a lifter? Maybe something I can quiet down with an oil additive?

Pacer12
You might try sea foam but normally they don't sdo much good have a pro look into it so he could give you a better opinion

OFFERING MY OPINIONS/ OTHER OPTIONS......DON'T HAVE TO TAKE 'EM!

A LIFTER (NOT A GOOD TERM, AS SOME ARE SOLID AND ARE MANUALLY ADJUSTED, AND THIS DOES CRAP BELOW WOULD NOT APPLY!)

I'M GONNA SORTA DISCUSS........MORE LIKE A "TAPPET" OR WHAT A LOT OF PEOPLE CALL A "HYDRAULIC LIFTER" IS A COMPLICATED LITTLE CHUNK OF METAL(S)....IT WORKS ON THE LINES OF A HYDRAULIC JACK LIFTING AND LETTING DOWN.....BUT IN BETWEEN, IT RE-ADJUSTS ON EVERY DOWN STROKE IT MAKES

.....NORMALLY AFTER A "CORRECT, INITIAL SET UP" THEY NEED NO ADJUSTING AND LAST MOST, IF NOT THE ENGINE'S LIFE, IF SERVICES/MAINTENANCE ARE DONE ON SCHEDULE. THE OIL'S CLEANLINESS IS A BIG FACTOR......THERE ARE ALSO THOSE: IT'S MECHANICAL,...THINGS DO MESS UP FOR NO REASON, OR SO IT SEEMS!

PIC AT BOTTOM OF A TYPICAL TAPPET

READ MY ANSWERS IN THESE 2 POSTS

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/1978-gmc-c2500-ticking-coming-rebuilt-engine

HERE'S THE OTHER

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2006-ford-focus-engine-makes-ticking-sound

USING MMO IS NOT A REAL FAST, INSTANT, MIRACLE CURE...IT TAKES A LITTLE TIME TO WORK!

KEEP US POSTED ON YOUR PROGRESS...GOOD LUCK, FROM THE WAY YOU DESCRIBED IT, IT DOES NOT SOUND TERRIBLE.....I HOPE YOU DID NOT RUN IT LOW OR OUT OF OIL TO CAUSE THE ISSUE TO START