OVERHEATING

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee • 4.0L 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 199,840 miles

Two months ago my wife was driving my Jeep home from work (it was during January - sub-zero temps) when it started to overheat - she didn't notice the temp gauge rising. She drove it until it completely shut down. Because of the cold, and not being able to get it into a mechanic it sat at our house until we could work on it. My son is a trained mechanic and we set about trying to determine if it was a workable situation. I had recently installed a new alternator and water pump just before this incident and since then we have put in a new radiator (the old one was cracked), serpentine belt, and belt tensioner. A complete oil change was done as well. We have purged the cooling system as best we can but there still seems to be a lot of air in the system. The heater core seems clear but I am not getting any heat in the cabin. Today as I tried to go to work it overheated again (after we thought we had it fixed) and I watched as coolant gushed out the overflow tube on the coolant reservoir. Please respond with any suggestions! I love this Jeep and would rather not get rid of it!
Dehner1

Have you replaced the thermostat? Have you tried bleeding the heater core?

Thanks for the reply but I got my answer today. My son brought out a test kit to check for a warped head (by checking for exhaust gases in the coolant). Got a positive result. : ( I guess the next step is removing the head and having it milled (if possible) and replacing it with new gaskets and bolts.

Dehner1
A bad head gasket will do it.