I30T

2000 Infiniti I30 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 134,000 miles

My car will start and run but when I go to turn it off everything turns off inside the car but the engine stays running what could this be?

Tmcnaughty

It could be a faulty ignition switch or a stuck relay that is keeping the power supply to the engine on.

To KHLow2008. I had the ignition relay fixed that was broken and I had the whole ignition checked and they said it wasnt that either. The mechanics its with right now says it starts runs but wont turn off and they have to turn it off by disconnecting the computer under the dash is there any other possible things it can be maybe something with the alternator? Or something to the signal to the throttle not sending a message to shut off? Can you please research further this has been a problem that has not been figured out for 3 weeks

Tmcnaughty
Is it the ECCS relay you are referring to? Does unplugging the relay stops the engine from running?

You know honestly I dont know if thats what there disconnecting to stop the engine do you know anything bout infinitis

Tmcnaughty
The ECCS relay is the main relay for engine operations, if it is stuck closed, power would not be cut off when ignition switch is turned off. This would keep the engine running. If that is not the relay you are refering to, then get one to retest.

If you wish to question my knowledge on vehicles, then I might have to disappoint you.

Oh no not question your knowledge on cars just trying to get every possible option it could be. I have to ask if the eccs is stuck closed and thats why my engine stays running would the power in the car shut off with it, because when I go to turn the car off everything inside the car turns off and I cant use it but just the engine stays running can that still just be the eccs stuck? I just want to know what im talking about before I call the mechanics up and let them know what I found out. And thanks for the quick replys it really helps a lot!

Tmcnaughty
Symptoms points to a faulty ECCS relay and as I have explained, that is the only component that can cause the engine to remain running when ignition switch is turned off.

Btw, how long have you been using this vehicle? I have seen many cases of timers ebibg installed when auto start systems are used and it can prevent the engine from stopping until the timer runs out.

Ive only had this car for about 6 months now. And a auto start system I dont think my car has that?

Tmcnaughty