TODAY WAS THE 2ND TIME A MECHANIC I HAVE BEEN USING FIXED SOMETHING AFTER CALLING ME FOR AUTHORIZATION ON THE FIX, THEN AFTER FIXING IT, STATED THEY FOUND A NEW "EMERGENCY PROBLEM".

2000 Honda Civic • 100,000 miles

For a 2000 civic LX - we went in asking them to determine if it was safe to drive for a long trip the next day because it had been vibrating with somehting at the wheels. We informed them that the oil shop had mentioned there was a bad CV / axle type thing - and that we needed to know if it was in need of immediate repair or could wait since it wasn't really popping bad on turns (back in the day I pizza delivery drove a number of civic's to the grave and went through a couple axle replacements). I asked if they would be able to tell if there was maybe an alignment problem with it as well and said to feel free to drive it a ways to see what it was like. An hour later they called to ask for authorization to fix the axle for a reasonable price - saying there was no way to tell how close it was and I gave it to them. Then another hour or two later they called to say they drove it after replacing the axle and that they found we had also had a bad wheel/hub/bearing problem on the "other side" that was a serious safety concern. We called for quotes on the same "additional work" and they were roughly the same price - but since this is the 2nd time this mechanic has done this I am wondering if I should consider them either incompetent for not diagnosing the problem (which google has since shown me should've pointed to wheel bearing first off by nature of vibration/grinding if they had simply drove it a bit before doing any work, or maybe they should have noticed ) or untrustworthy (since the less critical problem was fixed first before letting us know how much the emergency one would be).

The time before this was "we just realized it was the alternator was what had killed your batter" - same scenario - after I had authorized the battery replacement and they had performed the work.
Kaster

That is a question that I can't answer. However, a wheel bearing will make a howling noise when bad and will chance with intensity when turning. If you experienced any of that, I would say he is being honest.