THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR

2000 Honda Civic • Automatic • 125,000 miles

I own a 2000 honda civic dx. The engine light came on and I went to an auto part store near the highway that said the code was Po122 -- throttle position sensor error. I was told the part costs 46 dollars. Took it to a mechanic who charged 97 dollars for "pinpoint" inspection and told me the entire housing would have to be replaced and not just the 46 dollar part -- total cost 750 with labor. Is he telling the truth or is there a cheaper soluition?
Otamolloy

The TPS is integrated into the throttle body as a calibrated assembly, so there's no way around buying the whole thing.

Thanks, ramsatz!

Otamolloy
You're welcome TY for using 2carpros

In case anybody else hates the idea of spending $700 for an entire throttle body, the throttle position sensor IS replaceable on a 1996 - 2000 Civic and a lot of other Hondas as well. Get a new TPS from NAPA or buy a Dorman brand over the Internet, $25 to $50. The TPS attaches to the throttle body with two bolts, but the bolt heads look like screw heads without a slot for the screwdriver. Use a Dremel tool or even a hacksaw to cut a slot in the bolt head, remove the bolts with a screwdriver, get new bolts (with heads!) From the hardware store, and attach the new TPS. You need to adjust the new TPS by rotating it slightly so the voltage reading on one of the wires (I forget which) is 0.45 volts with throttle closed and ignition switch on but engine not running.

I don't know if the shops are ignorant or just greedy, following Honda's recommendation to replace the whole throttle body. The shop that told me to spend $700 knew the truth but didn't tell me. When I told THEM I had the aftermarket TPS, the boss immediately said, "Sure, we can put that on for you." But I was so mad by then that I had a different shop do it and will not go back to the first shop ever again.

Rberq