COLD START ENGINE DIES SPORADICALLY

2000 Ford Windstar • 84,000 miles

I have a 2000 windstar van with the 3.8 engine. When the weather got a little cold it seems to have developed a starting problem(unsure if related to outside temperature). The battery was tested as good. Some mornings the car will start normal, the engine rpms will automatically go up to approx 2000 and then slowly work their way down. If car is put in gear the engine will compensate and rpm's hold and car runs fine. BUT. Sometimes the car will start normally but dies right away unless you can get to the gas and rev it up. If you let off the gas the car will die. That car will continue to die if you put it in gear or are even slowing to a stop until it has been running for a good 20 minutes or so. To keep the engine running you have to keep a foot on gas and one on brake. I would assume it is some sensor starting to fail but if the problem doesn't happen all the time where should I start and can sensors be tested instead of being replaced to make sure thats the problem
Coug-one

Check the IACV, MAF and TPS sensor and also check fuel pressure