FORD TAURUS STEERING PROBLEM

2000 Ford Taurus • 207,850 miles

Recently I purchased a 00 ford taurus was told the only problem was power steering pump needed to be replaced after replacing the pump it burned out 1 to 2 weeks later. After inspecting the car it was determined that the power steering fluid was going thru the car because of a leak near the front right end I can see it when I turn the wheel I wanted to know the name of the part and about how much is the part itself

The description is confusing but it sounds like the rack and pinion steering gear is leaking. That's common on any car brand. You would have had a lot of warning from the buzzing noise made by the power steering pump and the loss of power assist before it failed again. They are lubricated and cooled with the power steering fluid.

The steering gear is never replaced with a new one unless the car is under warranty. Everyone installs a rebuilt assembly. The typical cost would be in the area of $150.00 - $200.00. The car will also require an alignment because the two final adjustments are on that assembly.