FORD TAURUS CLUTCH PROBLEM

2000 Ford Taurus • 129,000 miles

The car is in mexico power steering belt went out because of ac compressor can we buy a belt to bypass the compressor
Alfredovillanueva

I have had this problem. There is a jig to replace the compressor. The 2000 model was designed to have the compressor present.
Here are your options.

It is not your compressor that failed, it is the compresor clutch bearing. I changed mine just the other day. I tried buying the bearing online, but that did not work. O'Rielleys had it for about $35. You need to remove the compressor (easietst way) remove the clutch (you will need a strap wrench or really big pipe wrench), then you will need a pair of snap ring pliers (expanding) then your will have exposed the bearing.
Use a pulley puller to remove the bearing from the shaft, then press the bearing out of the pulley.
Reverse the process to install. The bearing costs about $35, compared to the 300 for the compressor. If you have a shop do it, you can tack on the labor, easily raising the cost to over $800.

Once the new bearing is installed, have a shop charge your system properly, about $120. I did it myself, by purchasing a kit for $50.

Good luck.

Robertdebeaux