ENGINE STALLING

2000 Ford Ranger • 64,000 miles

3 days ago I filled my gas tank. For the last 6 years ive only put in 20 dollars at a time. Truck ran fine for about 75 miles. Next day when I started it. It idled up and down and would stall. Took 15 min for it to spit and clear up and then it ran fine.
for another day now it stalls at stop sings and lights. Do you think I got some bad gasoline? Or do u think there's
debris in the fuel filter. A lot of soot at the talipipe. I, going to donate tomorrow when I get my ss check
Thank You
Wheelchairdude49

The black tail pipe is the clue that way too much gas is going into the engine. The best place to start is by checking for diagnostic fault codes. Those will indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. Many auto parts stores will read those codes for you for free.

Code for that is P1121. Throttle sensor A inconsistent with MAF/MAP sensor. Maf sensor is 1 month old.
Should I change the tps on it? How do I donate today?

Wheelchairdude49
I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the throttle position sensor. That will set a different code if the computer sees an unacceptable voltage from it. This code means based on its reading, (which is a valid reading), it is not seeing the expected amount of air coming through the mass air flow sensor. The most likely cause would be a leak in the fresh air tube between the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. That will also cause stalling because the computer determines how much fuel enters the engine based in part on how much air is coming in. If any air sneaks in that isn't measured by the MAF sensor, the computer won't know about it and it won't make the right fuel metering calculations.

The truck is out to my brothers. He check the air tube and everything was tight except for the air temp sensor,
it's loose. Would that cause the code? And should I buy a new one? Does it snap in there?

Wheelchairdude49
Sorry to leave you hanging. Been out for a week fighting a very painful kidney stone.

The best I can tell you with that intake air temperature sensor is there can't be any way for air to leak in after the mass air flow sensor. Do whatever you need to do to seal that up.