TRYING TO FIND REASON FOR CAR DYING AT INCONSISTENT TIMES AFTER REPLACING PLUGS AND WIRES.

2000 Ford Focus • 130,000 miles

2000 Ford Focus SE, 4 cyl - A few weeks ago engine light came on. Check the codes, it was for a mis-fire on 2nd cylinder. Found that the plug wire was not fitting correctly. Re-set, but it came coming off. Due to age and not sure of how old plugs or wires were decided to change out. All plugs and wires were replaced with new ones. The old plugs were set at a gap of.045, yet the specs called for.052-.056. New plugs were set to specs. Codes were cleared.
But then began to experience the engine dying every time the vehicle was put into park. No new codes issued. This behavior was not consistent, as the dying occurred at certain runs and then would not occur at all. Has happen with air on, then with air off. Has happen when decreasing speed to a stop light.
Pulled plugs again and reset the gap to the original setting thinking that maybe there was a connection. But the problem still exists and no new codes have been issued.
Wanting to find a direction to fix the problem. Currently at a lost due to the inconsistent behavior.
Sometimes it does not happen at all and will not die, then shut vehicle down and restart it, it will start up but quickly stagger and die. You can force it to maintain by pressing the brake and gas and jump shifting to drive. Then other times it starts up, runs fine never showing a sign of issues.
Sacredwolf

Check your fuel pressure that can cause your problem.

Car is a deisal wouldu lose presure over acouple of minets

Keith bysh
Diesels don'tuse spark plugs

I have a pressure tester but not sure where to connect it to the system. I do not see a port between the fuel filter and fuel rail. Is this the only place to test the fuel system pressure? Or is there a place underneath the vehicle? It has he 2.0 Split-port 4 cyl motor.

Sacredwolf
It's on the fuel rail manifold. It shoud be 35-55 psi.

I am unable to locate the port. I assume by you saying the Fuel Rail Manifold that it is not on the fuel rail itself, but yet there is nothing else that looks like a port to connect a tester too. Can you tell me which side of the engine it is on and what it is close too? Driver's side or Passenger's?

Sacredwolf
The fuel rail is hooked up to the injectors you might have to remove an engine cover or air ducting to see it.

You'll have to get a special tool to disconnect the lines at the maifold then. You 'll also need to replace the o-rings that seal it together. And you'll need an adapter to connect the gauge too. Alot of auto parts stores have these for rental. Here is apic of what to do.

Ok, I saw that thing and wondered if that was not it, but was not sure how to access it, makes sense now. I appreciate the assistance. Could it be possible that this could be something other than the fuel system. Just the inconsistant behavior of it is what makes me ask. Like last night, I set the sprak plugs back the specs and then took it for a spin. I never had any problems until I put it into park. It died immediately. I was able to start it but each time it stalled out. Was able to get it going again by holding the gas down along with the brake and jumping it into drive. But then later after shutting it down again. It started up (no stalling) ran fine and didn't have any issues. So if it is the fuel system, could it be that the fuel pump is going out?

Sacredwolf
Go back to first answer, if you dont'do what we ask then how can we help fix it? We dont' have a magic wand.

Page 1 of 2