FORD EXPLORER ENGINE PROBLEM

2000 Ford Explorer • 170,000 miles

Check engine light came on this morning in the truck and I took it in to the local auto parts store to get it checked out. They gave me a paper that said cylinder 5 misfire detected. I also noticed the car hasnt been starting on the first crank and also when I give the gas it seems like it wants to spurt at times and seems a bit rough. If I start the car and put it in drive with my foot on the break it sound and feels like it wants to rev and go then settles down over and over. What could it be. Got new plugs and wires like 2 mo ago
Coole041

We need the motor size.

Could be wires/coils. Also, the injector, wiring. Vacuum leak or low compression. It needs to be checked.

Its the 4.0 SOHC.

Coole041
JUST FOR GIGGLES

YOU MIGHT FOLLOW #5 WIRE--LOOK FOR IT TO BE AGAINST SOMETHING AND HAS RUBBED A SORE SPOT IN IT

IT MAY BE ARCING AT THAT LOCATION---USUALLY YOU WILL SEE A GRAYISH POWDERY SPOT RIGHT THERE AT THAT POINT (IF SO, IT'S TIME FOR SOME WIRES)

WHEN I'VE COME ACROSS THIS PROBLEM, AFTER INSTALLING NEW WIRES, I'LL TAKE SOME 3/8" OR SO TUBING, CUT ME A 3-4 INCH PIECE AND SPLIT IT, THEN POP IT OVER THE WIRE AT THAT POINT. I'LL NOT ONLY "PROTECT" THAT SPOT, BUT ANY OTHER PLACES THAT COULD RUB IN THE FUTURE, ON THE OTHER WIRES

WELL, LET'S SAY, ALL WAS GOOD ABOVELET'S SWAP #5 WIRE WITH ANOTHER WIRE (I MEAN COMPLETELY SWAP THE ENTIRE WIRE, NOT JUST THE PLUG END OR THE COIL END) THE WIRES MUST TAKE EACH OTHERS PLACE! NOW THEN, ARE WE MISFIRING ON THE CYLINDER THAT NOW HAS THE PREVIOUS #5 WIRE.....IF SO, AGAIN, HE WIRE IS BAD!

OTHER STUFF CAN CAUSE A MISFIRE TOOSPARK PLUGS----INJECTORSCOIL----EVEN MECHANICALLY, VALVES

THE BESTUS THING YOU CAN DO IS CATCH UP ON THAT PESKY PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCEYOU KNOW, THAT STUFF YOU SHOULD DO/ REPLACE/ CHANGE FLUIDS/ INSPECT/ CHECK!

DOING THIS ALONE............MAY SOLVE THIS PROBLEM........WON'T HURT ANYWAY, YOU SHOULDA BEEN DOING IT ALL ALONG!

WHILE I'M PREACHING (AND THERE'S NO EXCUSE...LIKE I DON'T HAVE ONE!) MOST ALL OWNER'S MANUALS PRESCRIBE CHECKING YOUR OIL AND WATER ONCE A WEEK......ANYTHING DEVASTATING COULD HAPPEN, EVEN BEFORE A WEEK'S TIME, YOU MIGHT CATCH A PROBLEM IN TIME AND SAVE YOUR ENGINE!

A GOOD BIT OF THIS STUFF CAN BE DONE DIY!................YOU JUST NEED A LITTLE SHOVE/ A FEW TOOLS/ THE ABILITY TO READ AND FOLLOW DIRECTIONS/.........AND ABOUT $30!

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2007-ford-taurus-tune-up

I'LL EVEN AID YOU IN SAVING SOME $$$----THAT IS, IF YOU CAN USE THIS RESOURCE OR ONE SIMILAR----SEE MY "AWESOME 'CJ MEDEVAC-O-MATIC ANSWER" THAT I GAVE THIS FELLER! (MOSTLY TOWARDS THE ENDING)

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/2009-mercury-mariner-mariner-had-problems-lately-battery-snowstorm-come

PLEASE DO RETURN AND LET US KNOW, YOU HAVE FIGURED IT OUT----AND IT WAS EZ!