CAM, SYCHRONIZER

2000 Ford Explorer • V8 2WD Automatic • 150,000 miles

I have a 2000 ford explorer with a 5.0 liter, the cam shaft sychronizer was chirping, I removed it and spun it by hand and heard the chirping, so I replaced it, with cam sensor also, the chirping came back after one week, did I need to lube it or does it need to be adjusted or something?
Dave callans

Posted By: herb @amato tire and service Flag Post For Monitor Review
Shop: AMATO TIRE
Date: 5/20/2010 4: 04: 11 PM

it can be done without the tool if you carefully mark the old ones position very carefully. Without haveing the old one to reference you might as well find the alignment tool, borrow one or buy one. Put motor on tdc cyl #1 and put sync shaft in with tool installed on top. Lock it down with bolt remove special tool and install sensor on top. If you get an aftermarket sync shaft with sensor, it should come with a plastic alignment tool which work as good as the otc tools. Yeah probably cam synchro. We change quite a few. Bushings wear out. Replace synchro and sensor on top at same time. Make sure you have alignment tool when you do this or you will get a hesitation of idle and poor power. These are tips that other pros have written in and posted but this is the proper way.

It runs fine why is the new sychronizer and new sensor chirping?

Dave callans
It runs fine why did the new sychronizer and new sensor start chirping after one week?

Dave callans
Because it wasn't installed right andnot timed the way it should be. Or check your bushing and see if it has slid inside the hsg. That is why is sent the tips so it could be reinstalled correctly. You'll need the alignment tool to put it right. You may check for a blocked oil hole by it as well as it's small to spray a little oil on it.