ABS ISSUE

2000 Ford Explorer • 89,000 miles

Occasionally my brake pedal goes a little further than normal and you can feel the abs come on and it usually happens when braking softly(no abs light comes on though). When I disconnected the abs connector the brake pedal stayed consistant and the brake pedal never traveled further than normal. There are no fault codes and I am baffled what to start with. If it was just for me I wouldn't care but I am giving the car to my 16 year old son and I don't want him to have a problem that may cause an accident-any ideas?
Darylebrett98

It sounds like the abs is working is why pedal goes down. Is master full of fluid? You might have air in system an dneeds bleeding

It is also possible that the cap for the master cylinder resivoir has a bad seal and needs changed. It is a very inexpensive part but may be allowing pressure to escape during braking.

Rmb1057
If it doesn't say expert by name the answer is from 2carpros. The latest answer from rmb1057 is highly unlikely so disregard it

SYSTEM WAS BLED FIRST AND FLUID IS FULL, - I DID THIS AS A LAST MEASURE BEFORE ASKING YOU GUYS. ADDITIONALLY, THE BRAKE PEDAL GOES LOWER THAN NORMAL BEFORE THE ABS FEELING HAPPENS. I WAS GOING TO CHANGE THE MASTER CYLINDER BECAUSE WHEN THE PEDAL GOES LOW IT HAS THE FEELING OF A MASTER CYLINDER WHEN IT GOES BAD. BUT THE MASTER CYLINDER, WHEN BAD IS USUALLY MORE CONSISTANT WITH A LOW BRAKE PEDAL ALL THE TIME FROM MY EXPERIENCES. BUT WHEN I DISCONNECTED THE ABS PUMP THE LOW PEDAL ISSUE NEVER OCCURED SO I THOUGHT THAT THIS STEP WOULD DISMISS THE MASTER FROM BEING BAD. VERY ODD PROBLEM, THANK YOU FOR YOUR PREVIOUS IDEAS. ANY OTHER THOUGHTS?

Darylebrett98
Due to what is called a brake pressure modular valve in the abs unit it can take up to 3 quarts of brake fluid to properly bleed the system. I'd recommend a power bleeder it cold be something in the abs screwing up as well. Btw the vlave isn't serviceable it's serviced as the whole abs unit.

I thought that the abs only functioned in an emergency. It seems strange that the valve would operate at slow speed. If the pressure is low in one circuit the a.B.S. And brake light would glow but I didn't think that the a.B.S. Valve would operate.

Frankiedonnn
Well keep in mind it can take up to 3 qts to bleed the system properly and best way is to power or vacuum bleed it not by foot.