I DID A 5.4 TO 4.6 SWAP WOULD I HAVE TOO CHANGE THE COMPUTER ALSO?

2000 Ford Expedition • 120,000 miles

The engine came out of a 99 grand marquis
Damien12

The computer is set to the 5.4. Not much difference except some fuel control issues. I would try it to see how it runs before getting a new computer.

I already place the engine in and its runs good but it has a stall to it and it smokes real bad and I was wondering would that computer make it smoke

Damien12
If it is giving a rich command, yes. The 5.4 requires different fuel settings and that may be making it run rich or it may be an issue from the other motor as well.

Get a shop to monitor the computer trims and tell you what is happening

Can I use the computer out of the car that the motor came out of instead of going thru trying too drive it too a shop

Damien12
No, the vin is burned into the computer and if you use that one, it most likely will not run from a vin mis match. You may be able to have the current one flashed by the dealer. Call a dealer service department and see what they say

I spoke with a mechanic at the ford dealership and he said he couldnt flash the computer over to a 4.6, he told me too just get a 4.6 computer to put in there, how do that sound?

Damien12
Not right if he means a used one. The computers are the same, they just need different information

Well I did get a 4.6 computer and the truck started up and shut off and when I try too start it up it wont stay running

Damien12
I have installed a computer and a mustang before and it done the samething and when I went back too it the next day it ran perfect do you think I need too give it time to reprogram?

Damien12
It does not reprogram itself. They have to be flashed.

It sounds like a security issue. Did yours or the donor have a security light?