SHIFTING ISSUES ON

2000 Ford Contour • 80,000 miles

I have a 2000 Ford Contour and it has recently started an issue where the car will run fine for awhile and then all of a sudden it will have issues shifting into the next gear (Automatic) and won't accelerate anymore. You can feel the car lagging and struggling to shift. Sometimes the engine will die when it does this, and I have to pull over and wait for a moment to start the engine again.

Sometimes the engine will start back up, sometimes it won't start until a few tries, almost like it's not getting fuel to the engine.

I'm not sure if this is a transmission issue, a fuel issue, or what. I'm hoping you might know something I don't, because I'm really lost on this one.

Thank You,
Bryan
Azrial

Bryan: It is hard to tell where the problem is coming from not being there. If the check engine light is on, have the computer scanned. Most parts stores will do it for free. If there is no light, check fuel pressure. There is a how to on the homepage under the DIY section.