WILL NOT COME OUT OF PARK

2000 Ford 500 • 6 cylinder FWD Automatic •

I have a 2000 ford tarus and it will not come out of park is my neutral switch bad
Hollis45

No. It's either your shifter button or your shift/key interlock.

Fixitmr
Mr. Fixitmr thanks for your reply but my tarus doesnt have a shifter button it is a column shift do you have any more ideals thanks

Hollis45
Is car on level ground?

Fixitmr
From the Haynes manual: "An actuator solenoid and module assembly, located on the lower portion of the steering column, locks the shifter in Park whenever it receives a signal that the ignition switch is in the ON position. When the module receives a signal from the Brake On-Off (BOO) switch that indicates the brake pedal is depressed, it unlocks the shifter so that it can be shifted out of Park."

It says the most common failures in the system are the fuse and the BOO switch, and if they are fine, special tools are needed to diagnose.

To disable the system: Apply the parking brake, turn the ignition key to LOCK, then remove the key. Insert the key and turn it to OFF. Press the brake pedal. Shift to neutral, start the vehicle and select the desired gear.

This is all from the Haynes manual.

It could also be cause by parking the car on a hill. The parking pawl may be getting jammed up when the car rolls forward or backward after putting it in park. The best thing, if this is the case, is to park the car, but on the parking brake, then shift to park. When you want to drive it, release the parking brake only after the car is in gear.

Fixitmr