EMISSIONS

2000 Dodge Stratus • 150,000 miles

My 03 dodge stratus check engine light came on and the meter said emission control. I was wondering what that meant. The car is idling rough and the exhaust has a strong odor like oil or gas. I also noticed when I turn my heater on I can smell it through the vents. Any ideas would help please.
Pocolachristian

We would need the exact code number being set. There are hundreds of different codes that can be set.

Wrenchtech
I dont' know what kind of meter it was but it didn't give a code when they plugged it in and showed me it just said emission control on the screen. From what it is doing does it sound like O2 sensor or egr valve?

Pocolachristian
As I stated, we need the exact code number. It will start with a "P" and then 4 numbers.

Wrenchtech
I was wondering since it reset the service engine light could I take it back and plug it in and still get the code if the problem hasn't been fixed

Pocolachristian
If they cleared the code, then you're not going to be able to read it again until the light comes on again. The self diagnostic system is there to help solve problems. Simply erasing all the stored data is like throwing away all your tools. The next time the light comes back on, get the codes and record them without erasing everything until your problem is repaired.

Wrenchtech
I was wondering if you could tell me where the o2 sensors are located on my 2000 dodge stratus. Thank you

Pocolachristian
In the exhaust pipe.

Wrenchtech